Birthing center bears name of beloved physician, Dennis B. Elrod
The Obstetrics and Gynecoloy Center at Southeast Hospital is named in memory of Dennis B. Elrod, M.D., who delivered more than 5,000 babies during a career which spanned more than four decades.
In recognition of Dr. Elrod's distinguished career and devoted service, this memorial tribute was designated by Southeast's Board of Trustees in 1987 when the OB/GYN Center was last redesigned.
Former Southeast Administrator O.D. Niswonger commented in 1987, "Naming Southeast's maternal and child care center after Dr. Elrod was a natural choice. His name brings back so many pleasant memories for his patients, his colleagues and our Hospital staff. He was a fine physician who cared for, and about, his patients and who faithfully supported this Hospital."
Niswonger added, "Women in his care fondly remembered Dr. Elrod as a dedicated and skilled physician but also as a compassionate, special friend so sensitive to their needs."Dennis B. Elrod, M.D.
A native of Dexter, Mo., Dr. Elrod completed his medical education at the University of Missouri and Washington University and post-medical school training at City Hospital in St. Louis. In 1935, Dr. Elrod moved to Cape Girardeau to practice as an obstetrician and gynecologist until his first retirement in 1964.
Finding that retirement wasn't for him, according to his widow Easy Elrod who still resides in Cape, Dr. Elrod returned to Cape in 1966 and reopened his medical practice just in gynecology. He maintained that practice, with a keen interest in fertility studies, until he died in 1981 at the age of 73.